Monday 26 November 2012

Greater pipefish

I started off the day with a quick visit to the reptile house, to photograph the ID sign for the Malayan box turtle- Cuora ambionensis. This is the old sign that I got a request for last week to duplicate as they have another enclosure with this species in, but because it was done many years ago it is no longer on the computer file system I have built up. So by photographing it I could easily see what text to put on the new ID document I was making for this species and also the range on the distribution map... rather than taking the old one down and leaving it with a sign for a while.
Whilst I was in the reptile house I took advantage of two lizards being out in good view and got photos of them too. These two lizards are species that are on my board - due to be done. So it always helps to get as much reference as poss when the opportunity presents itself.

I had seen Joe, from Maintenance on my way across to the reptile house and grabbed him to get some varnish for something I have been commissioned by the zoo to do. (More about that project on my other blog) And then on the way back to the studio I stopped off in the central office to pick up post and speak to a couple of folk in the offices there.

I took a few photo's on my way but once I got them uploaded to the computer I wasn't happy enough with them to keep on file. Then I got the info onto the new Malayan box turtle sign document and printed it off just after lunch.

Laminated and trimmed I then delivered it to the animal section. next job was to start on the greater pipefish.

This fish is long and thin and after a discussion with Phil, it was decided it would be ok for me to illustrate it curved round, as if it was changing direction as it was swimming along. The problem is if I painted it straight and side on because of it's length, to fit it into the space on the sign it would end up as very small and difficult to see. So by having it positioned curving round on itself I could have it larger in the space. As I had seen the fish doing this, it was a natural position to portray them in.


I took the basic shape from one of the photo's I had taken, altering the tail position so that it was more easily seen and better on the eye position -wise, but still keeping it natural. The caudal fin (tail) reference was another photo, as was the head, body lines and dorsal fin details. I have three other photos to use for the colouration and marking details.  I sometimes make notes with my drawings and with fish this usually relates to the number of rays in the fins as these are species specific. So I need good photo reference to be able to count the rays in the fins.

Last week I had painted the watercolour paper with my black mix (Lamp black, Ultramarine and Alizarin crimson) so once I had the drawing right (checking head lengths and comparative tail to head sizes etc) I traced it to the black background. Then painted in the base colours.


Whilst that dried I went out to walk around the Christmas animal shape lights, now that it was dark, to make a check on what they looked like 'lit up'. Not all of them were, but I was able to see some and add some more alterations to the list that are to be tweeked tomorrow. I have arranged to meet with Eddie in the morning to go around and fix those that have got a little mis-shapened or are placed/hung wrong. 

The zoo sounded quiet today... Kamal our Asiatic lion was put to sleep last week, so there were no calls from him sounding out across the grounds. He was 18 years old and his health had deteriorated badly, despite great veterinary care from our team of on site veterinary staff. Please read more about him here It is very sad when an animal dies or has to be euthanased, especially for those who cared for them on a daily basis. Kamal was loved greatly by his keepers, he was a fabulous lion to work with apparently, very gentle and tolerant, he will be missed terribly. I know I shall miss him, and I didn't have that wonderful experience of him that his keepers have. Rest in peace Kamal.


No comments:

Post a Comment