Monday 4 February 2013

Back at the Zoo

Today is my first day back since just prior to Christmas, so I spent this morning walking around the zoo checking all the identification signs and noting those that need replacing. At the same time I gave those that needed a quick clean a bit of a wipe over.

In the South American tapir paddock there is a set of four signs and I used to be able to climb up over the sturdy fence to get in to attend these sign, but these days my limbs can't quite manage the climb back out as there are no handy foot holds. So I found a keeper and waited whilst she finished sorting out the golden lion tamarins before unlocking the paddock to allow me access to the signs.
The advantage of climbing over the fence used to mean that on a day such as today I wouldn't have to wade through several inches of gooey mud, but as my older limbs aren't as agile as they used to be I now wade through the mud to get to the signs. Once cleaned I negotiated the mire again and locked the padlock on my way out. Good job I always wear walking boots to work.

On my walk around I get re-aquainted with the zoo and some of the staff I see. I had  a couple of lovely catch-up chats with staff that I knew and I met a volunteer called Pat who has been here for nearly four years each Monday, but I have never bumped into her before. We had a nice chat in the tropical bird house where she was stationed.

There is some work going on around the grounds on various exhibits - there's a bit of a revamp going on in Bug World which involves my giant squid mural; so I will need to do some work on that very soon to patch it up after the builders have finished. The gibbon island climbing frame is also having some structural work done.

By lunch time I had finished my 'sweep' and so the next job is to print out and replace those ID signs that I made notes of. So the afternoon was spent in front of the computer printing 21 new ID's finishing just before it was time to go home.

As it was my first day back at work since before Christmas I had my Secret Santa Christmas present waiting for me and a note saying 'Welcome Back Su' on my desk, which was lovely to come back to.

No comments:

Post a Comment