Thursday 11 April 2013

Lilacine Amazon parrot displaying




This is my first video posted to my blog..... so hopefully all will go well and you can view it ok. I don't have one of those fancy smart phones, this was done on my little Fuji camera that I have been using lately  to take photos as I work around the zoo. It struck me the other day that I could take videos too and so I have been taking various little video clips for the last week or so... funny how something that seemed interesting at the time loses that interest when looking back at the clip later. But this clip I decided would probably be interesting. 

I have worked at the zoo for over 17 years and although these parrots have bred well in the past, I have never been around to see this courtship display before. I was actually sketching the birds at the time and they started this behaviour... so out came the camera, which was then quickly put onto the video setting. The male is the one lowered with his wings held out, the female is the one making the most calls and following him.

No comments:

Post a Comment