Sunday 16 June 2013

Finishing the Sweep

The days of this week are all pretty much the same so little point doing each day separately.

Last week I had printed a new black and white ID sign for the imperial scorpions which are going in the underground area of Twilight World. I needed to double check that the size and shape of the sign fitted the position it was to go in, so I took it over to . This is in a themed area and the underground area is made to look like you are in a hole in the ground... hence the walls look like soil with roots coming down through. The ID Signs are positioned in cut-away holes in the walls and backlit with light, so the ID's just show the white text and silhouette of the creature. All was well with the size and shape, so I printed the full version (I had only done a 'rough' copy on economy setting) trimmed and lined it up (two separate A3 sheets needed to make it) and then stuck it together ready for when the display needs it.
Then over the next three days it was a case of printing, trimming, laminating, trimming again, taping or hole punching 45 individual ID signs. Some had to be converted on the computer from old Quark and Freehand documents to Illustrator ones so that slowed the process up a bit.

The signs were all put up too, over the course of the week. Now it is done and I don't have to do this mammoth ID replacement again untilk the beginning of August when my next 'ID Sweep' is due.

Apart from that I also uploaded and sorted out the photo's I took of the wrinkled hornbills - Aceros corrugatus last week  - adjusting, cropping and deleting until I have a selection of reference photo's ready for when I come to do the illustration. In my research on the species... as both the birds we have are a year old or less so have not yet got their full adult colouration. I did a google search of images for this species and soon noticed a number of variations. I contacted Nigel (Curator of Birds) to ask his advice. My problem was that I had noticed on the lower mandible of the male the brown area that the wrinkles form in varies in the amount of the mandible it covers.. some only a third of the way along from the base , some it almost reaches the tip at the other end. was this age related or just an individual variation? Next .... they have an inflatable pouch on their throat... was this always inflated or only to display etc? Also the colouration varied from white through to deep yellow. Again was this an individual thing or related to age or breeding condition? And lastly... the casque shape on the top mandible... it varied in size, shape, colour and number of notches - ranging from none and being smooth to having four or five deep notches or from being short or long in length, being pale or deep red in colour and being anything from very 'oblong' in shape to being very curved. Again.. individual, age, breeding condition etc? This might seem over the top in my research but as these birds have yet to mature and colour up and form these features fully... I can't just guess when I know nothing about what I'm trying to guess on. So Nigel was able to give me my answers that will enable me to be able to paint the illustration as close as I can to what is typical for the species.


This is our young male and below is a mature male (photo taken off of google search) which he may or may not mature to look like!




Here's a few photo's from this week at the zoo...


This is I think a Lady's slipper orchid. I found it by chance in one of the flower beds by the new aviaries round behind the Herbaceous Border lawn. I have never noticed them before.. and they are quietly sat down in the shade of one of the bird houses. Beautiful blooms.


The baby Southern pudu was out in the sun... this species is the world's smallest true deer and is very cute with its smartly spotted back.


One of the lion cubs taking a breather in their play fighting session.. he stayed in this position for several minutes... think he was practising his yoga!


The handkerchief tree is in bloom and starting to drop its large papery white petals...standing under the tree gives you the best view of the blooms as they hang from the underside of the leaf laden twigs and branches.


Recently hatched greater flamingo chick following one of its parents to the water. incredibly silly legs... huge feet and joints on the legs... but very cute with it.


Roulroul partridges - Rollulus rouloul are inquisitive birds 
and whenever I am in the Forest of Birds exhibit, putting in new ID signs, they come over to see what I am up to.. no doubt hoping I may have some tasty morsels like mealworms to feed them like their keepers put out for them. Most people walk quite quickly through this exhibit so they are not used to people hanging around, especially when they get down close to their level (as I do when I am undoing or doing up the nuts and bolts on the ID holders)





No comments:

Post a Comment