Sunday 9 June 2013

Sketching in Blackhorse Wood

As I have mentioned before... as part of my in-house training at the zoo, I have a half day sketch session about once a fortnight. In this time I can sketch whatever I want to sketch on zoo property. As I now work just three days a week at the zoo for nine months of the year... I have to get each illustration done as quickly as possible... I rarely allow myself luxuries like spending time sketching an animal unless I deem it absolutely necessary. I wish I could spend time to sketch each animal but it makes each job too long and it's a struggle to keep on top of my 'to do' list as it is. But  sketching is important as it is easy to loose one's 'hand and eye', so regular sketching sessions help me with observation and my art skills. 

It's three weeks since my last sketch half day  and this time I thought I would head up to the Hollywood Towers Estate that the zoo owns and is currently developing into a new visitor attraction. They have owned the land, some 120 acres, since the 60's and it has had planning permission to build another zoo attraction there. For a few years I have gone up before any big changes are made as new buildings are added and old ones renovated as new facilities and enclosures get put in. Pathways and access roads built and the land 'tidied up' ready for visitors. 

Having had the privilege of wandering the fields and woods over a couple of years on occasional visits I am sad that things must change there... it is a beautiful wood and I loved the feeling of discovery and exploration, no other people around (except for the gardeners and a few animal keepers - but they kept to certain areas) So the freedom of wandering the woods spotting roe deer, foxes, many birds and insects... and seeing the naturalised seasonal plants.. like crocuses, snowdrops, bluebells, daffodils, ramsons, cyclamen were a delight.

The new attraction is called 'Wild Place' and it has the first phase opening in July... so this is the last month that I could visit and experience it as I know it.. quiet, peaceful, without the hub bub of visitors and staff. I haven't been for a year myself as I had a frozen shoulder problem last year and it would be silly to tackle the steep slippery rough animal track pathways whilst in pain or unable to use both arms for steadying myself or picking myself up when I slip.

Hence I was really looking forward to my visit...

The changes are already happening and the sound of workmen can be heard around the central area where the 'model farm'  and big barns are.

I signed in with the site manager and picked up my Hi Viz jacket that I was to wear. I asked if I had to wear it in the wood as I wanted the chance to see wildlife and wearing a flourescent yellow jacket was not conducive to that aim. Today luckily there was no work going on in the wood, so I was told there was no need to wear the jacket whilst in the wood, but I had to put it on at other times. 

After signing in I drove back alone the track to the Greenhouses. I parked there and went to see the bird keeper who was looking after the hornbills I had come to photograph and view. These birds are in quarantine so I needed to don wellies, quarantine disposable overalls and disposable gloves before going in with them.


Some of the greenhouses



After spending about an hour with them I had a quick snack lunch and then walked across the fields and from there down into the woods.


From the greenhouses to one of the entrances to the wood



Track down into Blackhorse Wood

I was saddened to see 'no entry' signs on posts stuck in the tracks on a few of the routes through the woods and the track way that led to the Wild Place forest learning camp was wider, cleared and well used... my sense of 'escape' was extinguished.  

I walked down to the camp and beyond it to the high fence that follows the bottom edge of the wood. When I last used this track along the fence line it was so thick with plants that to follow the deer track you had to push your way through nettles and other vegetation... now there was a clear pathway - it was a trail now for the Forest Learning groups. Now and again along the trail laminated signs were hanging from the trees or fence asking questions about British wildlife. A great idea, but again... totally ruining my sense of exploration and discovery of the place I once knew. I have to get used to the fact that this is now a different place... and it is great for those who visit.


Track along the fence line

 I took a lot of photo's again, recording what I see; some of the changes, beautiful scenery that inspires me....







I sat in my foldaway chair where the view beyond the fence looked out across the bottom fields on out to the estuary. Here I did my first sketch of the day...




I was there about an hour... I saw no deer but heard lots of birds, including a few buzzards overhead. Once I was up and moving on I disturbed one buzzard as it sat on the top of the fence... it flew off quickly on hearing my approach. I tried to walk softly and quietly but with so many dried twigs and leaves on the track it was difficult not to be noisy.


Not a great photo of the buzzard, but I was pleased to get that. 


I followed the fence line right along the base of the wood and followed the adjoining fence as it went back up the escarpment cutting through the line of trees. At this point I am now right round the other side of the curved expanse of woodland covering the escarpment. I scrambled up across the undergrowth off the track to emerge behind the clock tower.


I wanted to get back to the fields about halfway along the woodland's line. So I skirted the field trying to find the deer track that I had used many times before to get back down into the trees. I couldn't find it! I pushed through the undergrowth where I thought it should have been and came out vaguely near, I thought, to where I wanted to be in the trees.. But on trying to negotiate my way down the steep bank covered with the slippery yellowed dead leaves of a swathe of long gone bluebells I realised the track was now gone, overgrown and I couldn't find it. So I carefully and slowly made my way back up to where I had been as I knew there was a track skimming the edge of the trees there somewhere. 


On my way I found this gully, where I sat down for a snack of a twix biscuit and some orange juice and then sketched the base of the tree just in front of me. It had bare ivy stems twisting up round its trunk, like a strangler fig.. and I thought this would be interesting to sketch.




Whilst I sat there I heard small steps approach slowly through the dried leaf litter. I stopped to listen and look to the right of me in the direction of the sound. I couldn't see anything as the land dipped behind the bank, but I guessed there was a deer there. It stopped, maybe it could see me or maybe it just heard or smelt me.... there was a few seconds of silence and then the sound of something running, betrayed by the dry leaves on the ground.

I finished my sketch... it was now about 4.15 and I had to be back at my car to get out of the gardeners yard before 4.45 as they would be locking up. Then I had to be signed out and off site by 5pm today.  So I slowly made my way along the track, heading towards the top fields. I had wanted to sketch there but time was running out fast. Other times I have been here I have been able to leave my car somewhere else and so not have to be so quick to leave. 


Me and a large fungus on the tree trunk




I had by now put my hi viz jacket on and was seeing the signs of development as I crossed the top fields... tracks cut wider and scoured out ready for permanent covering to make access roads, old animal buildings renovated and paddocks lined out with new fencing. To me it was all very sad... this secret haven was already vanishing. But that isn't to say that I don't like what will be here. I think it will be an amazing place to visit and learn in and I do look forward to seeing it grow into the eco park that will challenge and encourage visitors to change something in their life to benefit the planet.




The smell of freshly cut grass drying in the sun was  thick on the air, a farmer was cutting in the field I wanted to cross so I had to skirt round and go through Webb's Brake where the ponds are.


The  joining series of ponds have been cleared of excess plant growth, making them clearer to see, which was lovely. Yellow flag iris skirt a few of them ponds and duckweed covers the surface. I walked through the small woody glade they are in and emerged back out on the opposite edge of the field where I first entered the wood at the beginning of the afternoon. On my way back to the greenhouses and car I saw Jackie from the Wild Place Forest School putting up a teepee with a friend. I wandered over for a quick chat and tried to help as they were attempting to tie the canvas together at the top, a bit of a stretch up. But it was now nearing 4.45pm, so I left them to it.

I hope I can get up here again before it opens towards the end of July... it is a special place.








No comments:

Post a Comment