Monday 14 May 2012

Lionheads and dinosaurs

There were no ID requests in this morning's email check from the last four days, so I could get straight on with the next illustration job. On my 'to do' list the next species is the Lionhead cichlid - Steatocranus casuarius. This species also has other common names such as blockhead cichlid, lumphead cichlid and buffalo cichlid.

I had already got some photo's of this fish from a few months back. It is a very difficult fish to see in the display tank  as it is quite shy and likes to hide and stay at the bottom of the tank. For a couple of months I tried to get pictures of it in situ but it just didn't want to show itself and on the few rare occasions it came out of its hidey hole in the rocks (bribery offerings from Aquarium staff did the trick) it dashed out and back in again. Hence my success was poor and limited. 

Assuring me that the fish would not suffer from undue stress, Jonny - Assistant Curator of Aquarium, arranged for Sam (Keeper) to catch the fish up in a net and put it in an empty tank for me to photograph. This was done with some difficulty as the fish was less than willing to go along with their plan. But the mission was accomplished and I got some photos. 

So it was to these I now looked to start sorting out which ones would be useful for reference. Because it stayed sat on the bottom of the tank the only decent reference the pictures gave me were of its head, dorsal fin and general body shape. I then did an extensive internet search looking for other useful images. I was looking specifically for pectoral, pelvic and anal fin details, caudal fin (tail) shape, colouration (as the fish when put into an empty tank lightened in colour and showed pale spotting due to its less than happy mood.). 

What I also had to assertain was the differences between the male and female of this species. Males were bigger and as their various names suggest they also sport a lump on their heads which in the males is more pronounced. They also have longer finage. Looking at the reference before me and comparing various images to the zoo fish I needed to contact Jonny to check on the sex of our fish. He said it was thought to be male, but I wonder from the images whether it might be female due to the small size of the lump on its head. There again it could be a young fish and maybe less developed or perhaps, as it is kept on its own, it has not developed a pronounced lump due to lack of hormonal impetus from having a female or another male nearby.

Once I had about 16 images set aside I printed them off and set about drawing it. It was a fairly easy fish to draw, not really intricate or complicated in any way. For the drawing I used a combination of nine of the images I had - taking different bits of detail from each one or using two to compare things such as pectoral and pelvic fin length in comparision to each other.








Once drawn up I cut a fresh piece of waterclour paper and painted the black background on. I left this to dry and went out for a walk around the zoo - we have new residents!

Today the dinosaurs arrived. Twelve animatronic beasts to reside in the zoo for the summer and one that you can sit on for photograhs to be taken. The sites where they were to be positioned had already been prepared over the last few weeks and now the models were being positioned after arriving today.



Only one is life size and that is of course T-Rex. He looks absolutely awesome and is sure to excite the kids greatly. As I wandered around looking for them all I felt a bit like a kid myself, it was great fun and they are not all set-up yet. All will move in some way, some roar and one spits water at passerbys... so it should be an interesting and exciting added attraction at the zoo. Can't wait to see them all moving and doing their thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment