Sunday 5 August 2012

July 30 - Aug 1

I returned to work after almost a month's absence due to a frozen shoulder problem. My shoulder started the 'freezing' process during the last week of May and throughout most of June I had assumed I had a pulled muscle in my arm that would heal. It didn't and the pain got worse - eventually I woke up one morning with such pain that I then went to a GP and was diagnosed with the onslaught of a frozen shoulder, put on strong anti inflammatory painkillers and signed off work. I was given the option of a steriod injection into the shoulder joint, which I really didn't fancy due to the risk that goes with it, the imagined pain of the injection and the fact that I have a distinct aversion to needles! However staying at home in constant pain unable to do anything bar lie uncomfortably on the bed or a couch propped up on pillows to watch TV, read a book, play for short spells on the computer led me to reassess  the option. Plus I had and a week long batik workshop (I was to tutor) coming up at the end of July that I was committed to.
I relented and had the injection on the 9th and a week later the pain level had dropped sufficiently enough for me to tutor the workshop. Throughout the week the pain continued to ease and so on Monday 30th I was able to return to work.

Although the pain level has dropped (for now) I am not completely free of it and the mobility of my shoulder is limited. So for my first 'week' back I kept away from working at my drawing desk, which is currently too high for me to sit and work at. Instead I had much catching up to do with filtering through my emails and sorting out the various text documents sent from the Education department and placing the texts on the relevant ID documents. There was also a number of new species to add to my 'to do' list bringing my illustrations to be done up to 5 fish, 4 reptiles, 1 bird and 1 marsupial. I did reference searches for the new species and lots of 'little' jobs on the computer. to get these ID's 'on the go' Next week I hope to get my drawing desk height sorted so that I can start work on the illustrations.

It was lovely being back, not only for the company of my work colleagues but the sights and sounds of my work environment. I never try to take these for granted but when you've been away for a while they do come at you all fresh again.  Here are a few highlights that I enjoyed on my first days back.....
Hearing the agile gibbons dueting and the Sumatran laughing thrushes call across the zoo to each other did bring a big smile to my face. Going out and watching the seals play as they swim effortlessly through the water in their excitement before being fed. Waiting patiently for the new marsupials - the kowari - to come out as soon as the lights dimmed in Twilight World (our nocturnal house) and then watching them for a while in the low light. Seeing how big the youngster Kay is now against her Mum Shiva (the Asiatic lions). Watching how the spider monkeys, recently moved to another enclosure, make different use of it than the previous occupants - the howler monkeys. Watching the male okapi twist his long tongue around leaves to strip them from a long bendy twig. Looking in on the rockpool display to see how much the seaweed has grown.  Watching the gorillas exit their indoor area one after the other, after the morning's food had been scattered on their island. All little things really, but in my mind such a delight to be able to witness as an 'everyday occurance' in my workplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment