Tuesday 21 August 2012

Kowari and Sweep

It took me just about half an hour to finish off the kowari this morning... making sure I had remembered to put in its whiskers, of course! So this is the finished drawing....


The grades of pencil I used continued to be 4H, H, F and 7B.. using the 7B only for the black of the eyes and tail. Also on the tail I added some work in with a 9B and took out some 'harsh' details on the fur of the body. The drawing has yet to be checked by the animal section but I have set up the digital file for the ID sign so that once I get that check done, if the verdict is all ok then I can print out the ID straight away. But if I need to do any tweeks, I will have to re-scan the pic and place it on the file. this is what the final sign should look like (without the watermark)... 


The font I used for the text is one called "Sean's other hand", as it closely resembles the text on other ID's in the Desert area of Twilight World, where the text was hand-written by a member of staff (before being scanned digitally and placed on the signs) who is away on holiday at the moment.  

Before lunch I had about 40 mins to go out into the zoo and start my 'Sweep' of IDs to see which need replacing, cleaned, re-sticking etc. Because I was away for about a month recently I had a lot to catch up on when I got back, so my bi-monthly "sweep" got delayed as a result. It was very busy and in some areas I struggled to move easily through the crowds. I managed to get about half way around the site and came back with a relatively small list of stuff to do.

After lunch I continued on my "sweep'. Whilst I go around I also clean up some signs that are cobwebby or have become dirty. Surprisingly there wasn't too much to sort out and once back in the studio I started on the computer, printing out the ID signs needed. I had two already on file that I could use so that left me with only 16 IDs to print - 15 for birds and 1 for mammals.

By the end of the day all were printed out and most laminated.

No comments:

Post a Comment